The KIDS ZONE AFTERSCHOOL PROGRAM
The Kids Zone is one of the most unique after-school enrichment programs in the nation. We serve children from the Lincoln County School District in grades K-12. Our programs include free USDA meals for all participants (a full supper during the school year and snack + lunch during the summer). To register a child for Neighbors For Kids’ program(s), please complete and return the attached form to the Neighbors For Kids’ office: NFKYouthRegistration-2013
The Kids Zone’s classes and activities are taught and supervised by caring staff and adult volunteers. Kids Zone youth learn about important subjects such as reading, math, culture, conflict resolution and peace-making, environmental preservation, health and nutrition and more. Children also participate in arts and crafts projects, take music lessons, get help with homework, play games and sports. The Kids Zone often goes on learning-based field trips or takes part in community service projects.
Below is a list of a few significant NFK accomplishments from January – October 2011:
- Kids Zone Afterschool Program served an average of 35-40 children per day for 31 weeks, providing 465 hours of positive after-school enrichment classes and activities. A total of 152 children are registered Kids Zone members.
- Summer Program served children for 9 weeks, providing 198 hours of summer session classes and activities.
- USDA Food Program – 4,343 nutritious suppers served to children after school. 1,303 healthy lunches and 1,006 afternoon snacks served in the summer months.
- 310 hours of professional academic tutoring in reading and math, plus ongoing homework assistance – showing significant improvements in student’s test scores, grades on report cards and increased self-esteem.
- 279 hours of music lessons taught to students in grades 1-12.
See our Seismograph here.